Dedicated to covering the visual arts community in Connecticut.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Saturday night opening at Hygienic Gallery

Hygienic Art Gallery
83 Bank St., P.O. Box 417, New London, (860) 443-8001
Renee Rhodes & Rebecca Guay: Portraits of the Divine Feminine
Sept. 12—Oct. 10, 2009
Opening reception: Sat., Sept. 12, 7—10 p.m.

Press release


This show explores the feminine forces represented in sacred myths and religions. Renee Rhodes uses mythological symbols as her source for these sculptures and draws from a broad background of Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Ancient Greek and Celtic traditions. As a painter, Rebecca Guay is intent upon the concept of the dynamic power that lies at the core of beauty and sensuality. Her inspiration as an artist was cultivated early by her love of Greek mythology and the complex relationships and passions within the pantheon of deities. Please join us at Hygienic Art in celebration of the Divine Feminine.

Renee Rhodes divides her time between her sculpture and her private practice as a clinical psychologist. Her most recent sculpture series focuses on sacred art and the visual translation of divine feminine archetypes. Her work is meant to inspire using myth and symbols. This show explores the feminine forces represented in sacred myths and religions. Rhodes uses mythological symbols as her source for these sculptures and draws from a broad background of Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Ancient Greek and Celtic traditions. She believes that through sculpture, the wisdom and message of these spiritual deities and mythological figures can be transmitted into form that is instantly recognizable and therefore easier to take in. Myths and fables used to be a way knowledge and wisdom was passed on. Visual depiction of the goddesses is another way to carry on this oral tradition by creating a visual that has impact on a soul level.

Rebecca Guay began her career after graduating from Pratt Institute in 1992. She has been working full time as a painter for the last seventeen years, both in published work for books and fantasy art and with fine art commissions sold within the private collector market. As a painter she is intent upon the concept of the dynamic power that lies at the core of beauty and sensuality. She has developed a reputation in the industry and among collectors as an artist with a powerful vision of the feminine. Her inspiration as an artist was cultivated early by her love of Greek mythology and the complex relationships and passions within the pantheon of deities. Guay is fascinated both by the undeniable strength of Athena or Artemis, and in what the more illusive and complex symbol the mortal-to-goddess Psyche (and her journey to redeem Cupid's love) represents. When Guay paints her women she hears their voices in her mind,"I am fierce," they say. "I will devour you with my savage beauty, stun you with the glory of my presence the confidence of my spirit, I will enlighten you in the knowledge I have of myself," they sing. "I am whole forever".

Renee Rhodes:

Six years ago when my daughter was 11 years old, I bought her a book on Goddesses called Goddesses: A world of Myth and Magic to show her the way. When I started sculpting this goddess series last year I pulled the book off the shelf and would often refer to it, especially enjoying gazing at the incredibly lovely and magical illustrations. The week I had begun sculpting Kali I had the book open on a table in my studio to the dancing Kali illustration as inspiration. Later that week I went to Amherst, Massachusetts for an event on storytelling by the Veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. I was going with Matt Mitchell, the portrait artist whose show 100 Faces of War I arranged to have as an exhibit for at the Hygienic last August as part of a not for profit organization I started called Wounds of War. The morning after the event I went to Matt's studio for a studio visit and passed through his wife's studio on the way. There was the artist who illustrated the picture of Kali on my table in my studio!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that Matt was married to her. I took this as an auspicious sign and asked her to join me in my show Portraits of the Divine Feminine, which was originally going to be a one women show of my sculptures. And that's how Rebecca and I came to meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home