Dedicated to covering the visual arts community in Connecticut.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Poetry reading Thursday evening at Broad Street Books

Poetry is off-topic for Connecticut Art Scene. But I wanted to make an exception to put in a plug for a poetry reading by Charlotte Currier this Thursday, Apr. 9, 7 p.m. at Broad Street Books in Middletown. Under her imprint Trefoil Arts, Charlotte has just published Shadow and Light: a Retrospective. The poetry collection is a "kid of memoir" of 50 years of writing and teaching the writing of poetry. In an email to me, Charlotte noted that the book, which was designed by New Haven designer Daphne Geismar, "is an 80th birthday gift to myself." Charlotte, I might add as a visual arts connection, is the mother of New Haven photographer Matthew Garrett.

I make this exception because I took a Creative Journalism course taught by Charlotte in the 1990's as part of my studies in Wesleyan University's Graduate Liberal Studies Program. If not for her encouragement, I doubt I would have continued to pursue writing with any seriousness.

Broad Street Books is located at 45 Broad Street in Middletown. The phone number is (860) 685-7323. The store can be found on the Web here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home