Dedicated to covering the visual arts community in Connecticut.

Friday, December 05, 2008

Saturday opening at New Haven Free Public Library

New Haven Free Public Library Art Gallery
133 Elm St., New Haven
The Bridge to the Soul: Artworks by Carmelina Mosher and David Brodsky
Nov. 29—Dec. 27, 2008
Artist's reception: Sat., Dec. 6, 2:30—4:30 p.m.

Press release

Carmelina Mosher is a Visionary Expressionist of Penobscot heritage and a Hamden resident. Her works resemble archetypes from a vast range of cultural mythologies. Mosher received her Master's Degree in Expressive Arts Therapy in 1986 and has a private practice in New Haven. She has shown her paintings nationally and internationally. Mosher has done post-graduate work in Education, Fine Arts and Foreign Languages, and is fluent in French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.

"Art is a bridge to the soul, and the gate to the soul's evolution," says Mosher. "We all feel differently from moment to moment. Our mind is constantly shifting. Thoughts and feelings are processed through sensory images before words. Painting is a visual expression and often reflects our inner thoughts and feelings. This expression of art becomes a metaphor for how we live our lives."

"My first love has always been painting. I believe creative expression is essential to life. Through painting I continue to develop my identity as an artist and transmitter of the creative process. I have worked as an Expressive Arts Therapist and Educator for 22 years. As a guide, I have been privileged to witness the creative evolution of those I've worked with and to participate in the power of their healing through the arts.

"My imagination is fueled by nightly dreams, daydreams, unconscious images, and visions experienced in occasional sweat lodge ceremonies. My art is a reflection of my cultural heritage as well as a visual epic of my personal journey through life."

Carmelina's artworks are currently on display at the Keefe Community Center in Hamden, CT, Chapel Haven, Inc, in New Haven, CT and in her office on 1435 State Street, also in New Haven. Women of Healing is the title of the exhibition of original paintings by Carmelina Mosher and Jennifer Skelly, which will be on display at Café George by Paula, 300 George Street, New Haven, CT, beginning May 2, and will be on display through June 30, 2008. The show includes more than 20 acrylic paintings from each artist.

Carmelina's paintings range in size from 5" x 7" to 18" x 24" and exhibit the rich and colorful spiritual visions of each artist. The artists will donate 10% of proceeds from sales of their work to the Autism Society of Connecticut (ASCONN).

David Brodsky is an art student of Carmelina Mosher, and lives in New Haven.

"I also like ceramics and graphic design," he says. "I paint because it is relaxing. It gives me inspiration and a break from sitting and watching TV or listening to the radio or exercising. I find painting intriguing, and sometimes it fills my loneliness and my time. I feel painting is an expression of action, movement, thoughts, and feelings." David is originally from New York City, and has been living in New Haven for more than 10 years.

"I was born with Cerebral Palsy and sometimes I get seizures and I need to rest for a few minutes and it is difficult. I have more strength in one arm than in the other. When I paint, I can take breaks and I don't have any time limit. No one tells me to hurry up and finish.

"My inspiration for painting comes from my mother who is a painter, and my father who had his own business as an architect and engineer. My father has designed airports and hotels internationally. My mother is an independent filmmaker. I have traveled with both my parents around the world.

"Some of my art comes from my imagination, some from memory. Sometimes I look at pictures and I am able to paint my impression. My paintings make me feel happy when I look at them, and I want other people who see them to feel happy. I would like to be a well known painter."

There will be an artist's reception for this show on Sat., Dec. 6, from 2:30—4:30 p.m.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

This is an art show worth viewing.
I went to the opening, and was amazed, and delighted with the works by Carmelina Mosher and those of David Brodsky.

I believe the art works will be on view until Dec. 27th - so find some time to see this one! I loved the art!

7:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to this art show on Sat., Dec. 6 and wow, wow, wow!

Amazing works by Carmelina Mosher and by David Brodsky - don't miss this one!

7:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home